Thursday, May 24, 2007

Feed the birds

Feed the birds

Why would anybody feed birds? Why should anybody feed the birds? There are so many reasons, let me count the ways, or at least list the ones why I feed the birds. Number one: It's great entertainment. I've never been one for sitting and watching the grass grow, but watching the birds feed? Now that's entertainment! I could sit and watch birds feed forever, or until my butt hurts, whichever comes first. I also enjoy listening to them. I love waking up to their soothing songs and gentle chatter.
I spend about an hour each day watching the birds feed. I fill their feeders three times a day. It only takes a few moments and the expense is minimal. I buy five bags of seeds at a time. Each bag is ten pounds of black oil sunflower seeds and that will last me about two days if I'm lucky. I have birds feeding essentially from dawn 'til dusk. Apparently word has gotten out about the all-you-can-eat-buffet at my house.
I have one feeder in which I put the sunflower seeds, and one feeder in which I put thistle seed. With two types of seeds, I attract a variety of birds.
I'm no bird expert. I cannot tell you the name of each bird beyond what I personally call them. There's Martha, Dolomite, Laura, Petey, Heidi, etc.
I don't know species. I just know I like watching birds feed. There's a beautiful little bird with a bright yellow chest that feeds on the thistle feeder. If anybody has an idea of what kind of bird this might be, please tell me, I'd love to know, but I don't need to know. It's enough for me to watch and enjoy the simple sight of the pretty birds.
Feeding birds can't be any easier. I bought my feeder online, but you can buy one just about anyplace. Lowe's and Home Depot and Moeller's Garden Center all have a good selection of bird feeders, but you’ll find even more online. I buy my seed at Lowe's, five bags at a time. Feeding birds helps them stay healthy. If we didn't feed them, they'd have to find their own food and that's not so easy.
And if we didn't feed them, we wouldn’t have the pleasure of watching them up close.
But what are the benefits of feeding birds? I'll tell what I get out of it. I get a lot of peace and relaxation from feeding birds. I release all my stress watching birds feed. You simply cannot have any stress watching birds feed.
Well maybe you can, but I can't. It's just so soothing watching those cute little birds jockey for position on the feeder so they can nibble away, one seed at a time. I also have seed cakes in cages. The birds love these too.
These can be bought at Lowe's also. Another benefit I get from feeding the birds is one that some people get from meditation. Watching birds feed clears my mind of all the crap and clutter. My brain is refreshed and cleansed and I feel as though I can solve any problem and find every solution. The birds transfer their calmness to me and I am grateful. Birds have their one goal, food. This reminds me to do one thing at a time, and in doing so; I reach my goals, one at a time. This is a great and simple lesson given to us simply by watching birds feed. Do they know they're teaching us? Probably not, but I have often thought they are smarter. In my next life I am planning on being a bird. A bird that knows where all the neighborhood feeders are and only poops where it's not in anybody’s way.
I highly recommend you feed the birds, because I believe your life will be far better. Please do let me know either way. Any questions about feeding the birds can be directed to me unless you really want expert advice and factual tips.
A great place to visit is The Coachella Wild Bird Center. They’re at 46-500 Van Buren Street, Indio, CA, 92201-3454. Their telephone number is 760-347-2647. They’re open daily, but it is always best to phone ahead. I also highly recommend a BBC documentary called The Life of Birds. Netflix has this and I would hope Blockbuster does as well. Happy bird feeding.

1 comment:

DG said...

It has got 2 B a "Yellow-breasted Landfield"
So much for bird talk. By the way, any Hummingbirds? My favorite desert bird inspiration. But they feed on nectar, not seeds.
Birds bring peace to mind. All who can -should be at the Rally tomorrow [9am date palm & ramon] to fight this ugly war machine called "Bush"
(you still working Landfield?)
"Blessed are those who feed"
Later.